The development of the ski area in Hundfjället, Sälen, located less than 10 minutes from the new Scandinavian Mountains Airport, which is under construction, is a step towards an international ski resort, with Scandinavia's most modern 8-seater express chairlift, new ski runs and expanded snow-making facilities.
-This is an important step in developing SkiStar Sälen into an international ski resort. Hundfjället's ski area is being totally transformed so that the skiing will be both more accessible and more enjoyable. The new express chairlift is unique in Scandinavia and a really special experience, offering a high level of comfort through heated seats and wind protection, plus a stylish design," explains Jonas Bauer, Manager for SkiStar Sälen.
The new express chairlift, the West Express Hundfjället, will open on 14 December 2018 and will operate from the middle of the centre square, from where it will head up the west side of the mountain. The existing, long T-bar lifts that head up the west side of the mountain will be shortened. There will be two brand new button lifts covering the remaining stretch for greater comfort in the children's and family area at Trollskogen - the enchanted forest - which is one of Northern Europe's most popular family ski areas.
- As well as developing the skiing, we are also relocating and improving our childcare facilities, as well as the very popular and charming eatery Fompes Grill. The aim is to live up to what is expected of an international ski resort and suit both our Swedish guests and future guests from abroad," Bauer concludes.
Facts about the West Express Hundfjället - Sälen:
- Chairs offer protection from the wind and weather
- Heated seats
- Speed: 6 m/s with a ride time of 3 min 48 sec (previous long lifts approx. 7-8 min)
- Capacity: 2600 people/h
- Length: 1366 m
- Difference in altitude: 229 m
- Pininfarina design — designers for Ferrari.