The biggest news of the season is of course that the Scandinavian Mountains Airport is due to be inaugurated in December 2019. But it doesn't stop there - Sälen is continuing to evolve towards an international mountain resort, including through the construction of more modern lodgings (with most enjoying the best ski-in-ski-out locations), better parking facilities and more enjoyable skiing.
What's new in the ski area:
- New SkiStar Fun Ride: Sälen's third Fun Ride will be opening in eastern Tandådalen, on the hill that previously housed the snow park.
- SkiStar Snow Park: Moving to slope 12 in the northern ski area in Tandådalen
- More and better night skiing: LED lighting is being installed in the area around Valletorget, while the ski route between Gustavtorget and Sälfjällstorget will also be lit.
- More car parks: Drop-off zones in Lindvallen - these will make it easier to unload the family and ski equipment right by the slopes before heading off to park in the nearest available parking space. New parking facilities are being built in Lindvallen and Tandådalen to improve skiing access.
- Valle's Childcare in Hundfjället is moving into new premises, along with its outdoor play area.
What's going on on Tandådalstorget:
- ICA Tandådalen is moving into completely new, larger premises by the main car park on the way into Tandådalen
- The SkiStarshop Concept Store is moving into ICA's old premises, and getting a big facelift along the way
- Reception and SkiPass Sales are moving up one floor in the centre building at Tandådalstorget
- Wayne's Coffee is gaining 200 new seats, with the whole ground floor being converted into a restaurant/café
New and modern lodgings:
- Ski Apartments in Tandådalen and Hundfjället: 38 finished apartments that are both secluded yet boast the very best ski-in, ski-out location. The apartments boast spacious living areas and interiors that positively radiate rustic elegance. Ski Apartments Hundfjället offer four large, 16-bed apartments, where each apartment has a large living room and kitchen, plus four separate sleeping areas with private bathroom. Book »
- Tandådalstorget: The expansion of the popular accommodation area of Solbacken - located in the heart of Tandådalstorget, just a skid stop from the ski area - continues. 15 apartments will be ready for occupancy in December 2019 and another 24 by the Easter holidays in spring 2020. Book »
- Gustavtorget in Lindvallen: Within walking distance of Gustavtorget in Lindvallen are 16 apartments on Selvägen that will be ready for the 2019/20 ski season. The apartments are located in a slightly more secluded area but still close to restaurants, the shopping area and skiing.
- Timmerby Village in Lindvallen: A completely new lodging area is being built at Söderåstorget in Lindvallen - Timmerby Village. It will be home to some 50 ski-in, ski-out properties and aims to become a "Scandinavian Beaver Creek". The construction of Timber Heights and the 303 Lodge, which are expected to be ready for the 2020/21 ski season, are now getting under way in the upper part of the accommodation area.
- Fjällgläntan in Hundfjället: 12 apartments are ready in the Fjällgläntan accommodation area at the top of Trollbäcken. Another 25 or so apartments are also being built in the area and are scheduled to be ready during the autumn. Fjällgläntan offers perhaps Sälen's best views of the Scandinavian mountain environment. Book »
- The new SkiStar Lodge Hundfjället: The SkiStar Lodge Hundfjället will be ready for the 2021/22 ski season. The Lodge will boast a central location on Hundfjällstorg square, with direct access to the two 8-seater express lifts East and West Express. The location offers a unique ability to reach all of Hundfjället's ski runs from a single square.
- Trolldalen in Hundfjället: Further down Trollbäcken, construction is under way on an additional 9 buildings housing a total of 36 apartments that will be ready for occupancy in the coming years.
- Sälfjällstorget in Lindvallen: Fågelboet is expanding, with the Fågelboet Mountain Lodge - Sälen's largest cabin at 600 square metres, with 21 bedrooms and 44 beds. Book »