SkiStar is behind a large number of sustainability initiatives, including solar powered lifts, and an increased number of charging posts for electric cars.
Sustainability initiatives from SkiStar are exemplified below.
- Åre is home to the first three solar-powered lifts in the mountain regions – a collaboration between SkiStar and Fortum.
- Most newly constructed accommodation is located close to the lift systems (Ski-in Ski-out), which reduces car travel at the destinations.
- Charging points for electric vehicles are standard for all new builds, to meet heightened demand for eco-friendly means of transport.
- As far as possible, accommodation is built by local construction companies, using locally sourced, recycled materials. Existing vegetation on the land around the buildings is preserved and replanted, and trees in the vicinity are protected during the construction period.
- Continuous efforts to prevent erosion of the slopes by building dams and planting vegetation.
- Young people are encouraged to gain their first experience of the world of work. Over the past ten years, SkiStar has given over 11,000 young people aged between 18 and 24 the opportunity to gain professional experience.
- SkiStar’s operations are spread over a wide geographical area, which is why physical meetings are being replaced by telephone, web and video conferences wherever possible.
- In areas with a district heating network, SkiStar converts own properties from direct electric heating to hydronic heating.
- SkiStar is co-owner of Dala Vindkraft Ekonomisk Förening, as well as Dala Vind AB, as part of the company’s focus on renewable energy and climate-neutral power production, and to make it possible for the municipalities, the County of Dalarna, Sweden and the EU to meet their climate targets.
- Together with other investors, SkiStar operates three biomass heating plants.
- Panta Mera (Swedish can and PET bottle recycling campaign). At the destinations, cans and PET bottles are collected in clearly marked ‘Panta
Mera’ containers and igloos. The return on the cans/bottles is donated by SkiStar to the Alla på snö (All on snow) project.
- All on snow: a collaboration between the Swedish Ski Association and the Swedish Ski Council aimed at inspiring children to lead active and healthy lifestyles through opportunities to try out skiing.
- The purpose of the Swedish foundation Min Stora Dag (My Special Day) is to make wishes come true for seriously ill children. Several My Special Day wishes have been granted at SkiStar destinations, with the help of volunteers and SkiStar personnel.
- Stefan's Stuga in Lindvallen – a specially-designed set of accommodation close to the lifts, the purpose of which is to provide a haven where families affected by cancer can relax and spend precious time together. Stefans Stuga is an initiative of the Stefan Paulsson Cancer Fund.